Two-Factor authentication (2FA) refers to a login process that requires more than just a password. If your password is compromised somehow, 2FA can prevent an attacker from logging into your account by requiring a second form of verification. 2FA is an invaluable user friendly tool that should always be used, whenever available.
BFX prioritizes security so this is an important feature of our system.
Why you need it
Even strong passwords can be broken or compromised by a remote attacker. However, if you have 2FA, someone who gets your password will be prevented from gaining access to your wallet because they will also require your 2FA code. Unlike your password, your 2FA code changes with each login attempt and is retrieved from your mobile device. Enabling 2FA serves as an incredibly helpful deterrent of online attacks, which means your account won’t be an easy target for unauthorized access.
How it works
When you first register a BFX account and create a password and associated email. By default, these are the only two pieces of information required to access your BFX account.
Setting up 2FA will add a third credential: a unique one-time use code that will also be required to log in to your wallet successfully. A new code will be generated for each login attempt.
- You can get started with 2FA in the Security Center of your wallet. You can use Google Authenticator app to generate codes.
- Once you have set up 2FA with your chosen method, the login process will require you to input your email, password, and then a 2FA code.
How to Set up Google Authenticator App
We recommend Google Authenticator for most users. It doesn’t require an internet connection or phone service to use, and is more secure than SMS due to being offline and local to your device.
- Download the free application from the App Store or Google Play store.
- Under Enable, choose Authenticator App.
- You will be presented with a QR code to scan with your Google Authenticator app.For those on Android devices: Open Google Authenticator on your device, click the 3 dots in the upper right corner and select Add an account, and Scan a barcode. For those on iOS devices: Open Google Authenticator on your device, click on the + symbol in the upper right, then click Scan barcode.
- Scan the QR code with your mobile device. Once this is complete, you'll now see your Wallet ID listed in your app with 6 numbers that change randomly every 30 seconds. This is your 2FA code that you will use for logging in.
- Enter the code and press Verify Code.